Ambassador Freek Vonk

Adventurer

Dr.FreekVonk is an internationally renound Dutch Biologist, Writer and TV Presenter, who is famous for his TV series ‘Freeks Wild World’. His show is broadcast in the Netherlands and explores some of the most dangerous animals in the world.

Freek aim is to make science and biology understandable and won the ‘Dutch Emmy’ for the best family programme ‘GoudenStuiver’. In 2012, he won the prestigious Eurekaprize for Science Communication, which was awarded by the Dutch Organization for
Scientific Research and the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Freek holds a PHD in Snake Venom and continues to publish papers on snakes as well as writing for consumer publications such as National Geographic Magazine.

He has over 15 years of experience and spends most of his time travelling and exploring the great outdoors.

Gallery

Q&A

Please tell us a little bit about yourself

I am a Dutch biologist with a PhD in snake venom (Leiden University, 2012). I work at the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden. Furthermore I am a host/presenter/producer of several successful TV-documentaries about evolution and biodiversity,
anti-poaching and my own children’s program “Freeks Wild World”.

Besides that, I have my own children’s magazine (“Wild about Freek”) and I host several yearly live shows and a theater tour named “Freek Vonk Live”.

Have you got any plans for the year ahead?

We plan to search for a variety animals, countries and landscape, but the thing a looking forward to most is the salmon runs in British Colombia in Canada.

What would you say is your greatest achievement to date?

The discovery of a new snake species, Vermicella parscauda.

Why are you keen to be a Craghoppers Ambassador?

Whenever I travel for my tv programs, I always wear Craghoppers. It is the perfect gear for every situation, whether it is the dry savanna in South Africa or the jungle in Surinam.