Ambassador Faruk Akbas

Travel photographer

Faruk is one of the leading travel and documentary photographers in Turkey. He has been taking photographs professionally worldwide for 35 years and has featured in National Geographic, Daily Telegraph, Hürriyet and Cumhuriyet (two of Turkey’s most
popular newspapers).

Currently, Faruk Akbaş is organizing photography tours to mostly undiscovered gems in Turkey and pursues his role as a photography guide and consultant on photo trips around the world.

In 1993, Akbas founded The Photography House (Fotoğrafevi) in İstanbul, where many photography exhibitions and workshops were held. He also established the Art Camp in Kayaköy in 1999.

Gallery

Q&A

What would you say are your greatest achievements to date?

At the age of 30, I travelled all around the Asia continent in a minibus, photographing along the way from Afghanistan to China and from Mongolia to Siberia. I covered a total 250.000 km and it took 1.5 years.

Tell us about the biggest adventure you’ve taken your Craghoppers kit on?

When we were in the Turkish Caucasian mountains, shooting snowy landscapes, the temperature dropped as low as -30 Celsius. All our electronic equipments and even our watches stopped working. But we reached to our hotel healthy, not even getting
cold.

What is one cause that you feel passionately about?

I love exploring new places and shooting photos of it.

Do you have any top tips for survival to offer to our community?

Always do your research before going to explore new places.

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Use flash effectively. The best night photos can be shot when there is still enough light to shine on the image. If you… Read More

Read More...

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Be prepared! Day or night, no matter where it is, in or out of the car, the camera must be with us… Read More

Read More...

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Lighten your workload! When placing your equipment in your backpack, review everything one by one. Consider the materials which you used last time and… Read More

Read More...